Skip to main content

Controversial Yoga---Yoga as Preparation For Death

Readers,

Yoga can also be a controversial subject and practice. With a larger rate of yogic mutations in style and beliefs, my field is one littered with landmines of the taboo. I have been practicing and studying with in the field intensely for four years now and I am happy to report that the times for narrow minded nonpracticitioners are changing. Yoga practitioners are coming in many more varieties these days:
Psychonauts,
Christians,
Hindu,
Buddhists,
Tattoo Sporting Practitioners,
Professionals in the working and athletic fields,
Tantra (John Friend),
Native American belief systems (Ana Forrest),
Smokers,
and just about every other kind of person or ideal you can think of.

One thing that I came across in my readings and research is a something called Shadow Yoga. Oh, doesn't that sound mysterious. As far as my research tells me, Shadow Yoga is simply a practice of obscure yoga teachings (breathing, aka pranayama, body positions aka asana, and philosophy). This leads me to believe that what I am currently practicing, while derived from Hatha yoga practice, is gradually passing into the realm of Shadow Yoga. I am inviting people from all walks of life to start Waking Within as they do intense personal-questing and inner journey work.

I am blessed to know that the more that I prepare my humanity with light meditations (light in the sense of love or coherent frequencies), the more I am given the opportunity to visit and embrace my shadow side (incoherent tendencies or chaos). Readers can take comfort in knowing that the light/dark side qualities are equal and balanced; so naturally the more that you work on one, the more you shall be working on the other.

I guess what I am trying to say in this entry is that yoga is based on union or the principle of ONENESS. Therefore light and dark (shadow or unpopular/obscure) are simply masks of true life or wisdom that exists in balance.

This aside, let's learn something:

"Yoga as Preparation for Death"
By Trevahr

Since the begining of time yoga has been know as a system of Liberation or freedom. With this I was led to contemplate on the question of "freedom from what?" Modern times seem to be influcening my decision regarding "freedom from what". There is quite a bit out there with regard to humanity and its search for freedom. As a young man in California I was influenced by "the Matrix", "A Clockwork Orange", "The Dark Crystal", "Jet Li's Fearless", "Kung Fu The Series", "Catcher In The Rye", author Joyce Carol Oats, "The Alchemist", and large amount of science fiction stories that really convey the message "that a human is more than meets the eye".

In the words of Yoda (Star Wars): "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes."

In fact to quote Swami Sivananda in the glorious DVD movie Yoga Unveiled:
"Do you want to be master of your destiny? Do not be discouraged in sorrows, difficulties, and tribulations that manifest in the daily battle of life. Draw courage and spiritual strength from within. There is a vast inexhaustable magazine of knowledge and power within. Learn the ways to tap the source, dive deep within!"

Yoga as death prep is a process that combines all the flowery stuff that we in the west practice such as postures, meditation and breathing, and healthy lifestyle; with all the scarrey stuff from the east such as breath locking, diet, abstaining from toxic things, states of no-breath/near-death/never starvation. These things when combined bring in what I have begun to personally experience as "fearlessness" (a godlike quality discussed in the Bhagavad Gita).

Yoga when practiced with these processed from the East and West, is designed to destroy and recreate or transfigure self, time, and space through the mystical experience. Many individuals undergo a psychological shift or a psychedelic flash when faced with the mystical experience. Research points to these "shifted" individuals as having a larger interest in communal, meditation based ascetic life. Yoga looks to destroy the separation between what is self and what is not self...

Death and Yoga are both processed that help a human to understand the most basic level of underlying unity and interdependence of all existence. The unity experience contains past, present, and future in the Now of Eternity. From these spaces of "here and only here" an individual can determine paradox without conflict.

This conversation continues in future blogs entitled "Yoga as Preparation for Death". Inspired by the research of Dr. Rick Strassman.

Please let us know what you think and visit our myspace or send us a direct message via WakingWithin@gmail.com

Namaste,

Waking Within Co.
Carlsbad CA
760-713-6710

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Become a Shamanic Priest or Priestess ~ 7 day Thanksgiving Retreat

PLANT SPIRIT WISDOM, SHAMANIC MEDICINE PATH and Priest(ess) Intensive offered through the OSS This is a rare (and limited) opportunity to take part in 7 days of combined learning, nature, ritual and ceremonies with three of the worlds most powerful and important teacher plants: Saint Ysidro, Saint Peter and the Shepherdess. The course includes three ceremonies, hiking and daily outdoor activities, Shamanic storytelling and Socratic Method Teaching.  Training includes: ~Native Sweat Lodge Ceremony ~Daily Nature and Cave Hikes ~Intro to Soul Retrieval ~Power Animal Communion ~Daily Musical Journeys ~Salvia Divinorum Ceremony  ~Book Study from:  The Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner AND   Awakening to the Spirit World by Sandra Ingerman and Hank Wesselman ~Daily Healthy Meals ~Hot/Cold Tubs and Steam Room Please email me for an information pack, questions, scholarships or donations: WakingWithin@gmail.com _______________________________________________ Wha

Yoga Swami and Encinitas History

Readers and Yoga Adventurers, Just recently called the Yoga Mecca of the USA, Encinitas CA and Yoga Swami (where I teach two days a week) are special and are a must visit for any yoga adventurers. See the article in the winter 2008 copy of the Encinitas magazine. http://www.encinitasmag.com/about.html Encinitas, Swami's Surf Spot, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, and Leucadia...can be consider spiritual vortex hotspots. This evident in the number of places to worship just on the coast (west of hwy 101) near the cliffside beachs or Swami's and Moonlight. So my mother's family (mexican americans) lived in Encinitas during the period of time when Paramahansa Yogananda (the Swami that Swami's is named after). This time period was about the 1930's- 1940's. At this time Encinitas, was well liked by Swami Yogananda and he settled there for sometime. Swami Yogananda was a capricorn and he was a very involved meditator and yoga practicioner. His foundation still exists in E

Dreaming in the Dark Times 4: Mold and Sage

  Article: Mold and Sage Series: Dreaming in the Dark Times Many times growing up in Southern California have I communed with White Sage (Salvia Apiana). It grew in my hometown. It grows on the property that my family and I own in Aguanga, CA. I learned to pick it and bundle it before I was fully initiated into manhood (sometime between my first sexual experience and my first sweat lodge with a Lakota Medicine woman). I recently made some Dreaming Jaguar smokes at my old job site (Happy High Herbs/Rainbow Bliss Botanicals in Tempe AZ) and included white sage but wasn’t able to continue making them because of the popularity of this herb and the trouble keeping it in stock. I really just included it for flavor then. I had forgotten all the dreams I had of the sage fields before. In the last week, for the first time in many human years, I returned to my family land and the sage fields. I made offerings of guardianship and good will towards the sage plants on my land and collected a modest