Skip to main content

Nutmeg: Sacred Spice of Christmas (article for Happy High Herbs)

 

Nutmeg and mace (spice made from the outer coating of the seed) are a part of cultural history, early agriculture, and tribal cultivation in Southeast Asia. They are the perfect spices for the Holy Days of indoor winter feasts. Besides being a psychoactive ingredient (I’ll explain this later) in larger amounts, nutmeg has flavor and is considered an aphrodisiac across the world. One of the earliest trees to be cultivated by humans on Earth known as the Myristica fragrans, or Banda island spice tree. The seeds of Myristica fragrans were used in “Venus trading” or venushandel, which was a fun German way of saying sexual intercourse.


Ground nutmeg is something that the medieval herbalist Hildegard von Bingen enjoyed and wrote about. Her suggestion was to take it for the following things: warming, opening the heart, putting one into a good state of mind, numbing the senses, alleviating bitterness of the heart and mind, making the spirit happy, purifying the mind, and is a good blood tonic.


I personally find it to be an aphrodisiac and a blood mover, so I agree with it’s warming properties. Nutmeg is a flavorful spice, great for chocolate and baking. I mix it with cinnamon powder, dark raw chocolate (cacao paste/powder), vanilla bean extract, damiana powder, and all-spice and add it all to a warm milk (coconut cream or whole milk) and whisk or blend to produce a lovely aphrodisiac and energizing drink that helps enlighten the mood. Often, I add kava (the instant kava powder from Fiji or Hawaii); it becomes a super love potion that will work on both genders in unique ways. For me, having a male body, it helps to lengthen lovemaking and encourages tantric semen-retention while opening my heart to better connect with my partner fully. 


A few other additions to play with in that drink for extra juicy Christmas moments: Maca, Ginseng, Cordyceps, Pink Lotus, Coffee (especially M. O. M.) and Saffron. 


So, I had to tempt fate and self experiment like any good alchemist. In 2010 at a chocolate making social gathering, I decided to eat approximately one whole freshly ground nutmeg seed. This is, of course, intoxicating and I don’t recommend it. I remember being in a gloriously drunken state for way too long. In fact, it took about 48 hours to wear off and I slept very hard and very late the next day. I’m sure while interesting and mind altering, this was very damaging to my liver. So I encourage the dose to be reasonably below a whole nut of the lovely spice….and do grind it fresh because it’s a totally different experience! 


Hildegard’s Cookies for Preventing Sadness (can be found on page 147 of Pagan Christmas by C. Ratsch and C Muller- Ebeling):

22g ground nutmeg

22g ground cinnamon

5 g cloves

500 g spelt flour

150 g cane sugar

250 g butter

2 eggs

A pinch of salt

100 g almond pieces


Bake at 350 F for 5 to 10 minutes! 


Happy Venus Trading!

By Hugh T Alkemi of AlchemyZ.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Become a Shamanic Priest or Priestess ~ 7 day Thanksgiving Retreat

PLANT SPIRIT WISDOM, SHAMANIC MEDICINE PATH and Priest(ess) Intensive offered through the OSS This is a rare (and limited) opportunity to take part in 7 days of combined learning, nature, ritual and ceremonies with three of the worlds most powerful and important teacher plants: Saint Ysidro, Saint Peter and the Shepherdess. The course includes three ceremonies, hiking and daily outdoor activities, Shamanic storytelling and Socratic Method Teaching.  Training includes: ~Native Sweat Lodge Ceremony ~Daily Nature and Cave Hikes ~Intro to Soul Retrieval ~Power Animal Communion ~Daily Musical Journeys ~Salvia Divinorum Ceremony  ~Book Study from:  The Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner AND   Awakening to the Spirit World by Sandra Ingerman and Hank Wesselman ~Daily Healthy Meals ~Hot/Cold Tubs and Steam Room Please email me for an information pack, questions, scholarships or donations: WakingWithin@gmail.com _______________________________________________ Wha

Yoga Swami and Encinitas History

Readers and Yoga Adventurers, Just recently called the Yoga Mecca of the USA, Encinitas CA and Yoga Swami (where I teach two days a week) are special and are a must visit for any yoga adventurers. See the article in the winter 2008 copy of the Encinitas magazine. http://www.encinitasmag.com/about.html Encinitas, Swami's Surf Spot, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, and Leucadia...can be consider spiritual vortex hotspots. This evident in the number of places to worship just on the coast (west of hwy 101) near the cliffside beachs or Swami's and Moonlight. So my mother's family (mexican americans) lived in Encinitas during the period of time when Paramahansa Yogananda (the Swami that Swami's is named after). This time period was about the 1930's- 1940's. At this time Encinitas, was well liked by Swami Yogananda and he settled there for sometime. Swami Yogananda was a capricorn and he was a very involved meditator and yoga practicioner. His foundation still exists in E

Dreaming in the Dark Times 4: Mold and Sage

  Article: Mold and Sage Series: Dreaming in the Dark Times Many times growing up in Southern California have I communed with White Sage (Salvia Apiana). It grew in my hometown. It grows on the property that my family and I own in Aguanga, CA. I learned to pick it and bundle it before I was fully initiated into manhood (sometime between my first sexual experience and my first sweat lodge with a Lakota Medicine woman). I recently made some Dreaming Jaguar smokes at my old job site (Happy High Herbs/Rainbow Bliss Botanicals in Tempe AZ) and included white sage but wasn’t able to continue making them because of the popularity of this herb and the trouble keeping it in stock. I really just included it for flavor then. I had forgotten all the dreams I had of the sage fields before. In the last week, for the first time in many human years, I returned to my family land and the sage fields. I made offerings of guardianship and good will towards the sage plants on my land and collected a modest