Skip to main content

The Three Levels of Astrological Learning

I was first introduce to astrology when I was a teen. It seems both intriguing to me and simplistically mathematical. At the time, I was in every honors math class that my high school could offer. Eventually, in later years I realized that different systems of astrology made differences in prediction and personality, and some could be considered less accurate while others more. In my early 20's, I was introduced to both the Cards of Destiny system of midpoint astrology, Vedic Astrology (Jyotish), and Human Design.

My yoga instructor training which took place in Encinitas CA near the famous site of Paramahansa Yogananda's Temple and Gardens was located (and area locally called "Swami's") introduced me to Vedic Astrology. Due to the intensity of my classes, I learned about Jyotish for the first time from Ernst Willholm who would later prove to be influential as a teacher and truthsayer. In fact around age 25, I was again exposed to one of Ernst's students by way of my partner who simply loved to listen to the astrology lectures of Carol Allen, another Hollywood type Vedic Astrologer. Personally, I didn't care much for Carol's voice and was displeased to have to listen to that in my house, but when I found out who her teacher was, I had nothing but respect for the words she shared.

All the while, I learned about Human Design because to me it seems like the most practical system of astrology to learn from a stage 1 standpoint. Bare with me as I'll talk about the stages or levels in a minute. After receiving a few different Human Design readings, a Vedic Astro-Cartography reading at Amma's LA Darshan, and several reports on the Cards of Destiny for my personal year; I felt interested enough to purchase a collection of books on these subjects. I think it was about age 25 when my spouse, whom was learning from Carol Allen's Vedic Astrology lectures, told me that my "astrology lends itself to good astrologers." In other words, people with a certain combination of planets in specific houses are better at this art than others, which at first I discredited but now I've begun to believe.

So besides profiling my girlfriends, friends, family, and potential business partners, I began to study hard enough to feel comfortable giving readings to new people out loud. It was an experiment to determine how often people would reject the information that I shared. The odd results of the experiment proved either of two things: I was good at reading charts and people OR people would accept anything.

Honestly, I'm not sure if either one is truly false. I know I can do readings though, because several predictions have come true, and long shot concepts that I have shared have really moved people to believe in these systems. (I'm talking about Stage/Level 3 astrology)

Well the point of this article is to describe what I have defined and observed as the "Three Levels of Astrological Learning" or the Three Stages of Astrologers. My findings are based on observation and interaction thus far, so I'm potentially presenting an incomplete argument and may skip an unseen stage.

Levels of Astrological Learning:

Level 1: In this level of education, an adviser knows how to share information from memory of planetary influences, houses, gates, and energy centers. Usually the basics are explained, and for the most part an introduction to astrology or planetary chart reading in shared. People tend to find value in this sort of reading if they haven't experienced another reading of the same type in their current lifetime. A Stage 1 reader, would be able to tell you the overarching themes of your life and personality. Often main concepts and repeating ideas are shared. Usually this type of reading takes about 30min to an hour. There is more opportunity for the ego to reject this information so as a Stage 1 Reader, I've experienced disagreements. It helps to understand esoteric language and usual words like probably or possibly until the client agrees and you feel that you have the correct chart.

Level 2: Everything in life is Location Location Location! An old quote from Dracula, Dead and Loving it! But it's an important truth, because the second stage that many astrologers learn is about Transits e/g the temporary locations of planets and stars as the progress through the chart. Additionally, astrocartography can help us find the right places to live and find love, fortune, work and fame. I know that in yoga something similar is true, position is everything! Grand alignments of planets are what we are made of, at this stage a reader can often describe where the chart is stacked full of planets in a specific house or region. These all help us to indicate career and destiny.

Level 3: Prediction, Prophecy, and Foresight. Of course, astrology was originally created for the purpose of humans discovering how to track the future or manipulate their lives. Our oldest ancestors developed astrology specific to ritual and to create war or holy-days within the Kingdoms and forming civilizations. I personally feel that this aspect should be the goal of all practicing astrologers but here in the Western world most of them get away with a lifetime of Stage 1 readings and often never progress to Prediction beyond ego-description (which i call psychological astrology, or mind mapping). To break free from this mundane experience and move cleanly through space, time, and the heavens, a student of astrology and human destiny must forge an alliance with the vision of Heaven and the Highest Will. As an advanced astrologer, we find ourselves in all patterns, and the Universe ceases to be chaos but rather like unto a clockwork being.

Hope that you enjoyed my observations and opinions on this vast subject.

Sincerely,

Trevahr (Hugh T Alchemy)
619-663-4844

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Become a Shamanic Priest or Priestess ~ 7 day Thanksgiving Retreat

PLANT SPIRIT WISDOM, SHAMANIC MEDICINE PATH and Priest(ess) Intensive offered through the OSS This is a rare (and limited) opportunity to take part in 7 days of combined learning, nature, ritual and ceremonies with three of the worlds most powerful and important teacher plants: Saint Ysidro, Saint Peter and the Shepherdess. The course includes three ceremonies, hiking and daily outdoor activities, Shamanic storytelling and Socratic Method Teaching.  Training includes: ~Native Sweat Lodge Ceremony ~Daily Nature and Cave Hikes ~Intro to Soul Retrieval ~Power Animal Communion ~Daily Musical Journeys ~Salvia Divinorum Ceremony  ~Book Study from:  The Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner AND   Awakening to the Spirit World by Sandra Ingerman and Hank Wesselman ~Daily Healthy Meals ~Hot/Cold Tubs and Steam Room Please email me for an information pack, questions, scholarships or donations: WakingWithin@gmail.com _______________________________________________ Wha

Yoga Swami and Encinitas History

Readers and Yoga Adventurers, Just recently called the Yoga Mecca of the USA, Encinitas CA and Yoga Swami (where I teach two days a week) are special and are a must visit for any yoga adventurers. See the article in the winter 2008 copy of the Encinitas magazine. http://www.encinitasmag.com/about.html Encinitas, Swami's Surf Spot, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, and Leucadia...can be consider spiritual vortex hotspots. This evident in the number of places to worship just on the coast (west of hwy 101) near the cliffside beachs or Swami's and Moonlight. So my mother's family (mexican americans) lived in Encinitas during the period of time when Paramahansa Yogananda (the Swami that Swami's is named after). This time period was about the 1930's- 1940's. At this time Encinitas, was well liked by Swami Yogananda and he settled there for sometime. Swami Yogananda was a capricorn and he was a very involved meditator and yoga practicioner. His foundation still exists in E

Dreaming in the Dark Times 4: Mold and Sage

  Article: Mold and Sage Series: Dreaming in the Dark Times Many times growing up in Southern California have I communed with White Sage (Salvia Apiana). It grew in my hometown. It grows on the property that my family and I own in Aguanga, CA. I learned to pick it and bundle it before I was fully initiated into manhood (sometime between my first sexual experience and my first sweat lodge with a Lakota Medicine woman). I recently made some Dreaming Jaguar smokes at my old job site (Happy High Herbs/Rainbow Bliss Botanicals in Tempe AZ) and included white sage but wasn’t able to continue making them because of the popularity of this herb and the trouble keeping it in stock. I really just included it for flavor then. I had forgotten all the dreams I had of the sage fields before. In the last week, for the first time in many human years, I returned to my family land and the sage fields. I made offerings of guardianship and good will towards the sage plants on my land and collected a modest