Skip to main content

Open Letter to Paul Stamets: Please Help Save Lake Atitlan

Dear Mr. Stamets,

I’ve been a huge fan of yours for many years now. I am writing to you today because I think your extensive knowledge and experience can be an asset regarding my vision to save Lake Atitlan, the third largest freshwater lake in Guatemala. This lake was said to have been written about by Aldous Huxley where he referred to this lake as “the most beautiful lake in the world”. As an active mushroom cultivator and amateur mycologist I paid special attention when you publicly made statements about how to solve the problems in the Gulf with the recent oil spill utilizing mushrooms and hair to absorb the petro-waste and have it consumed by voracious mycelium.

I feel that Lake Atitlan can be saved with the aid of fungi. In 2009 it came to the attention of the locals that cyanobacteria had been growing and blooming in the water. It is three years later and the lake is in dire need of cleansing. Many of the people who depend on the lake for fishing and everyday life have developed reservations about faring the waters or have altogether lost their jobs as a result of the growing problem. The indigenous population, Mayan peoples use the water of Lake Atitlan as their only resource for drinking water often without water purifiers.

If there is any information and/or advice that you and your organization can offer we would be most grateful for that. I am new to the area of Lake Atitlan. As a former US resident and Citizen of the World I am concerned with improving the conditions of the environment for my generation as well as the future generations like my eight month old son who lives with me and is being raised alongside Atitlan.

Thank you Mr. Stamets and the eyes of the world as we open our hearts to the healing and stewardship that living on this planet requires. Together with the kingdom of humans, animals, plants, and fungi our Earth is cared for.

“The lake even earned the unfortunate distinction the “Threatened Lake of the Year 2009” by the Global Nature Fund.” -Kara Andrade 



Please view these news links:
http://americasquarterly.org/node/1129


http://www.greennewworld.org/LakeAtitlan.html




http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=41385

Sincerely,

T. R. Hughes
June 3rd 2012
AlchemyZ.com
EntheoRadio.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Become a Shamanic Priest or Priestess ~ 7 day Thanksgiving Retreat

PLANT SPIRIT WISDOM, SHAMANIC MEDICINE PATH and Priest(ess) Intensive offered through the OSS This is a rare (and limited) opportunity to take part in 7 days of combined learning, nature, ritual and ceremonies with three of the worlds most powerful and important teacher plants: Saint Ysidro, Saint Peter and the Shepherdess. The course includes three ceremonies, hiking and daily outdoor activities, Shamanic storytelling and Socratic Method Teaching.  Training includes: ~Native Sweat Lodge Ceremony ~Daily Nature and Cave Hikes ~Intro to Soul Retrieval ~Power Animal Communion ~Daily Musical Journeys ~Salvia Divinorum Ceremony  ~Book Study from:  The Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner AND   Awakening to the Spirit World by Sandra Ingerman and Hank Wesselman ~Daily Healthy Meals ~Hot/Cold Tubs and Steam Room Please email me for an information pack, questions, scholarships or donations: WakingWithin@gmail.com _______________________________________________ Wha

Yoga Swami and Encinitas History

Readers and Yoga Adventurers, Just recently called the Yoga Mecca of the USA, Encinitas CA and Yoga Swami (where I teach two days a week) are special and are a must visit for any yoga adventurers. See the article in the winter 2008 copy of the Encinitas magazine. http://www.encinitasmag.com/about.html Encinitas, Swami's Surf Spot, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, and Leucadia...can be consider spiritual vortex hotspots. This evident in the number of places to worship just on the coast (west of hwy 101) near the cliffside beachs or Swami's and Moonlight. So my mother's family (mexican americans) lived in Encinitas during the period of time when Paramahansa Yogananda (the Swami that Swami's is named after). This time period was about the 1930's- 1940's. At this time Encinitas, was well liked by Swami Yogananda and he settled there for sometime. Swami Yogananda was a capricorn and he was a very involved meditator and yoga practicioner. His foundation still exists in E

Dreaming in the Dark Times 4: Mold and Sage

  Article: Mold and Sage Series: Dreaming in the Dark Times Many times growing up in Southern California have I communed with White Sage (Salvia Apiana). It grew in my hometown. It grows on the property that my family and I own in Aguanga, CA. I learned to pick it and bundle it before I was fully initiated into manhood (sometime between my first sexual experience and my first sweat lodge with a Lakota Medicine woman). I recently made some Dreaming Jaguar smokes at my old job site (Happy High Herbs/Rainbow Bliss Botanicals in Tempe AZ) and included white sage but wasn’t able to continue making them because of the popularity of this herb and the trouble keeping it in stock. I really just included it for flavor then. I had forgotten all the dreams I had of the sage fields before. In the last week, for the first time in many human years, I returned to my family land and the sage fields. I made offerings of guardianship and good will towards the sage plants on my land and collected a modest