Skip to main content

Nutmeg: Sacred Spice of Christmas (article for Happy High Herbs)

 

Nutmeg and mace (spice made from the outer coating of the seed) are a part of cultural history, early agriculture, and tribal cultivation in Southeast Asia. They are the perfect spices for the Holy Days of indoor winter feasts. Besides being a psychoactive ingredient (I’ll explain this later) in larger amounts, nutmeg has flavor and is considered an aphrodisiac across the world. One of the earliest trees to be cultivated by humans on Earth known as the Myristica fragrans, or Banda island spice tree. The seeds of Myristica fragrans were used in “Venus trading” or venushandel, which was a fun German way of saying sexual intercourse.


Ground nutmeg is something that the medieval herbalist Hildegard von Bingen enjoyed and wrote about. Her suggestion was to take it for the following things: warming, opening the heart, putting one into a good state of mind, numbing the senses, alleviating bitterness of the heart and mind, making the spirit happy, purifying the mind, and is a good blood tonic.


I personally find it to be an aphrodisiac and a blood mover, so I agree with it’s warming properties. Nutmeg is a flavorful spice, great for chocolate and baking. I mix it with cinnamon powder, dark raw chocolate (cacao paste/powder), vanilla bean extract, damiana powder, and all-spice and add it all to a warm milk (coconut cream or whole milk) and whisk or blend to produce a lovely aphrodisiac and energizing drink that helps enlighten the mood. Often, I add kava (the instant kava powder from Fiji or Hawaii); it becomes a super love potion that will work on both genders in unique ways. For me, having a male body, it helps to lengthen lovemaking and encourages tantric semen-retention while opening my heart to better connect with my partner fully. 


A few other additions to play with in that drink for extra juicy Christmas moments: Maca, Ginseng, Cordyceps, Pink Lotus, Coffee (especially M. O. M.) and Saffron. 


So, I had to tempt fate and self experiment like any good alchemist. In 2010 at a chocolate making social gathering, I decided to eat approximately one whole freshly ground nutmeg seed. This is, of course, intoxicating and I don’t recommend it. I remember being in a gloriously drunken state for way too long. In fact, it took about 48 hours to wear off and I slept very hard and very late the next day. I’m sure while interesting and mind altering, this was very damaging to my liver. So I encourage the dose to be reasonably below a whole nut of the lovely spice….and do grind it fresh because it’s a totally different experience! 


Hildegard’s Cookies for Preventing Sadness (can be found on page 147 of Pagan Christmas by C. Ratsch and C Muller- Ebeling):

22g ground nutmeg

22g ground cinnamon

5 g cloves

500 g spelt flour

150 g cane sugar

250 g butter

2 eggs

A pinch of salt

100 g almond pieces


Bake at 350 F for 5 to 10 minutes! 


Happy Venus Trading!

By Hugh T Alkemi of AlchemyZ.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salvia, Ska Maria Pastora Entheogenic Ritual Group

Ska Maria Pastora, the Shepherdess or Salvia Divinorum is a sacred entheogenic plant of the peoples of Mexico in the mint family. It was used long ago, mostly likely, by the Maya, Zapotec, Aztec and Omec. Many modern Indigenous groups still use Salvia Divinorum through a process of chewing rolled leaves at night time for healing and divination. Modern descendants of the Maya and Zapotec as well as Mixtec and Oaxacan peoples still utilize this plant today. Most often we hear that they use it as a substitute for the Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe Cubensis and Psilocybe species) during the seasons when the mushrooms are not fruiting.  Salvia Divinorum is an easy plant to cultivate and can be very sustainable and rewarding to the Shamanic Herbal enthusiast. It is primarily probagated through cuttings but lately the plants that many of my friends keep are sprouting flowers and eventually seeds. These are sensitive plants and, I believe, need lots of loving care. If provided a safe...

Journey of Las Medicinas y Church of the Sacred Spiral

Dear Friends, Some of you joined us and many of you heard that last weekend we completed a beautiful series on the Magic Cactus with our Ethnobotany students. I held space along with some of my dearest friends and presented a series of Neo-Shamanic altars and rituals. The divine Earth we walked upon for our journey to healing was a blessed and sacred site that my family owns on the back side Palomar Mountain. As we got out of the city and into the country, I prayed for perfect weather and perfect community. Sunday throughout the ritual and the hiking that preceded said ritual, I was overwhelmed with GRACE for those who chose to stay behind and not attend this journey. I honored their path and allow them to continued to build trust in themselves and the medicine work and in nature and weather. When we arrived, the weather was perfect and mild and incredibly...there was rain everywhere except for where we hiked. All week and the day before, people were scared of bad weather and hard time...

Dreaming in the Dark Times 2: Flowers for the Dead

Article: Flowers for the Dead Series: Dreaming in the Dark Times As I write this, I am steeping blue lotus (Egyptian Water Lily), Lion’s Mane mushroom (powdered extract) and honey in hot water for about 1 hr. It is my intention on this Christmas night to dream deeply as a way to gather information about my future and the destiny of my family. It’s a shamanic practice that most people have access to. This winter and holiday week, I’ve gathered in my home, powerful herbs and foods that strengthen my connection to the darkness and to life with my eyes closed. I have Afrikan Dream Roots (Silene Capensis), Moldy blue cheese, Blue and red water lilies, Afrikan Dream Seeds (Entada Rheedii), mugwort, Zacatechichi, white sage, various mushrooms, damiana, passion flower, valerian, salvia divinorum, tart cherries and pistachios nuts. Each of these things has a function and effect on dream or sleep. However, in many humans these effects vary. The goal tonight is to take restful sleep using the wat...